Pups can get caught in the moment sometimes - run carelessly to catch a butterfly, run out on the road to get a toy, and play with other animals not paying attention to our commands. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to protect them from all the dangers, but dog safety should not be underestimated. Here we gathered the most crucial dog safety tips, so you will be able to give your pup a healthy, and safe environment !
1. High-Rise Risks: How to Prevent a Dog From Falling From High Buildings
High-rise syndrome is the injuries that occur after a pet fall from a high building or other high places. To avoid such accidents and ensure the safety dog pastime, pay attention to the rules below:
Install childproof locks on your windows. If you live in an apartment on the high floor, make sure your buddy won’t be able to push open the window and jump from it (your pet is strong enough to open the window that was open just a crack). Bars will also help — reinforce your windows using them.
Secure the balcony. A balcony is a perfect place to let your dog enjoy the fresh air, but it can be dangerous because your beloved canine friend can easily squeeze through the bars or jump over them. Screen the balcony from top to bottom or use a harness. You can also use gates or ex-pens to block off the balcony.
Keep your dog on leash. While walking on the roof or other public places aloft (offices, balconies, etc.), always keep your buddy on a leash and avoid visiting such sites whenever possible.
2. Use a Leash in Public Places
One of the most important pet safety tips to provide safety dogs is using a leash. But why should dogs be on a leash? There are a few reasons:
- Preventing escaping and kidnapping;
- Avoiding dangerous places (roads, crowds of people, manholes, and others);
- Protecting from distractions that can cause accidents (other animals, noises, etc.);
- Keeping the dog away from people who are scared of dogs or pets that can be aggressive.
Just use a leash while walking with your dog in public places, and you will never know what can happen if your beloved friend sees another dog on the other side of the street and starts running to it while the car speeds by.
3. Use a GPS Tracker
How to keep your dog safe and prevent accidents? Another way is to put a GPS tracker on your buddy. It won’t bother the dog and will help you to track them 24/7. The latest trackers can be connected to an app, so you won't need to run to your PC to find your pet. Using this, your beloved furry friend will always be around you.
4. Socialize Your Dog & Follow the Etiquette
Dog walking safety tips include dog socialization, a method of an acquaintance of the dog with objects and creatures around him, such as other animals, cars, people, smells, noises, and so on. But how to socialize a dog? Follow these rules:
- Take your dog, starting at a young age, on walks in the city;
- Help the dog find out more about different things (use a bus with your pet, visit dog parks, etc.);
- Teach your pup some important commands («sit», «lay down», «do not touch», «stay», and others);
- Teach your pet to curb to avoid him from relieving anywhere they want to (in some states, it's prohibited to do on the sidewalks, for example).
5. Be aware of foods on the streets
Some kinds of human food are dangerous for dogs, such as chocolate, avocado, onion, nuts, candies, and others. These foods can even be toxic and cause serious problems, so teach your pet not to eat them. That's why you need to train a «no» or «leave it» command, or even the behavior when a dog doesn’t pick food from the ground.
6. Teach Basic Commands
Commands are not only a way to entertain your pet but a method of securing them from hazards. Train your beloved pet such commands:
- «Lay down»;
- «Give it back».
Training your dog will help to reduce the number of accidents and secure him from irritants and dangers.
7. Keep your dog away from strays and wild animals
The answer to the question «how to protect your dog from other dogs?» is to keep your pet away from them. Yes, strays and wild animals that often live in the city (foxes, raccoons, etc.) can be carriers of various diseases and even have rabies. Instead of letting your pet contact them, call a shelter that will pick up the strays: it will provide them with food and shelter, as well as medications and pills. Don’t let your pup come into contact with wild animals too: they are rarely friendly and frequently can try to fight with your dog.
8. Visit Dog-Friendly Parks
Any dog owner should go for walks in such parks where the other dogs and special training construction are. Dog parks are often the only place where your buddy can run around off-leash and do some exercises with you (using barriers, toys, tunnels, etc.). Here your dog can also meet other dogs and socialize more which is important to keep the dog safe.
9. Crowd Control
Crowds of people can frequently cause stress in a city dog. To avoid this and to make it easier for him to stay in the crowd, follow these rules:
- Introduce your young dog to a crowd (go for walks with him);
- Take him out during less busy hours and increase the load over time, going out with the pet during rush hour;
- Keep up with the local occasions and adjust the route if the festival/sports events/other takes place near you;
- Don’t use public transport in rush hours if your dog isn’t trained enough;
- Explain to other people your pet’s preferences about the way of being approached.
10. Make a First Aid Kit For Your Pet
Pack and always keep with you a first aid kit for your beloved pet. A kit should contain:
- Hydrogen peroxide;
- Laxative products;
- Antipyretic products;
- Pet’s medical records.
This will help to save your healthy dog during an accident.
Today we have shared with you 10 safety tips for the dogs who live in the city. We answered the questions «How do I train my dog to live in the city?» and «How to desensitize your dog to loud city noises». We hope this info will help to secure your dog and avoid risky situations!